Senior Backend Engineer
Come work alongside some of the most talented minds in the agtech industry. We are a team of innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. You will be given the opportunity to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
What we are looking for:
There are many unique problems that come together under the umbrella of agriculture technology, and the ideal candidate has a passion for solving the most complicated real-world problems. The mission of our team is to provide the analytics and data to our customers via APIs that support their efficient use of resources as they grow crops to help feed our planet. However, each crop is different, and each farm is run a different way, so flexible modeling and good abstractions are required.
Come help build the future of agriculture!
What we do:
At Arable, our goal is to connect all the world’s farms and provide the highest quality data to power the predictive analytics that will help optimize the global food system. This is an ambitious goal, but the need has never been greater to rethink how we will feed an ever-growing population and reduce our impact on natural resources. We believe the heart of the solution is digitizing the analog world with high-fidelity data to help food producers optimize their operations. If successful, we hope the impact of our work will improve the lives of farmers everywhere and be a major contribution to securing the global food supply for decades to come.
A few examples of the work we’re doing today:
- Helping farmers in India and China through improved insights into crop development
- Giving produce growers in California the tools to optimize production with less waste
- Helping irrigated farms in Nebraska manage water more efficiently and sustainably to protect our water supply
What you will do:
- Work on highly visible, customer-facing projects from the Arable Roadmap
- Work with the Product Management team to understand customer needs and propose solutions
- Design and develop enterprise software solutions in an Agile development environment
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to achieve team goals/OKRs
- Work with various software frameworks written in Java and Python
- Actively participate in quarterly planning activities and Sprint activities
- Deliver high-quality, scalable, and maintainable software solutions
What you bring:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent field.
- 5+ years of experience in design and development of software solutions, with a deep focus on usability, performance, and integration with REST Web services.
- Very strong system design and software design skills with expertise in creating clean interfaces and operating at the right levels of abstraction.
- Solid design and coding skills using Java with the ability or openness to work with Python.
- Expertise with the Python ecosystem (Flask, SQLAlchemy, etc., or equivalent frameworks)
- Experience with AWS (ECS, S3, SQS, etc.) or equivalent Public Cloud services.
- Experience working with relational and non-relational distributed databases (e.g., Redis, PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB).
- Strong experience using SQL, preferably with PostgreSQL.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Dedication to code quality, test coverage, automation, and operational excellence.
- Experience with CI/CD.
- Experience with Docker.
- Experience with IoT systems.
- Knowledge of Spring ecosystem (SpringBoot, Spring JPA, Spring Security, Spring IOP, etc.).
- Knowledge of Infrastructure as code - particularly Terraform.
What we offer:
At Arable you will be joining a company of dedicated team players who bring together diverse expertise and a passion for building a more sustainable future. We are a fast-moving startup committed to providing a rewarding employee experience through the work we do, the team, compensation, and benefits, including:
- Flexible working hours
- Hybrid Remote work environment
- A focus on community involvement and career development
- Being an intricate part of creating an excellent IoT product in the agtech space and having a positive impact on the world we live in.
At Arable, we don't just accept difference—we celebrate and support it. Not only because it's the right thing to do but because we draw on the differences in who we are, what we've experienced, and how we think to make Arable thrive. Arable is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace and is an affirmative-action employer.